Convoy of Hope Reported By: Convoy of Hope Program Updates, Program Updates Department Poster
  • June 26, 2015 | 10:30 AM

Springfield, Mo.As the ground began to violently shake during April’s deadly 7.8-magnitude earthquake in Nepal, 13-year-old Manish jumped up from his chair in the second floor of a church and began to run. With walls beginning to crumble, Manish made his way to the street and survived unscathed. His mother was not as fortunate as she was buried in rubble, suffering significant injuries. “I was scared my mother was going to leave us and we were going to be orphans,” says Manish. Badly injured, Manish’s mother lay in a hospital while he took on the role as provider and protector for his family. He cut grass for cattle to make money, while worrying what his family would eat. That’s until he heard about Convoy of Hope’s food distribution near the remote village of Lamosangu. Manish hiked down the mountain to get the food kit consisting of rice, lentils, salt and oil. “When I got the food I could finally have a good meal with my family,” he says. Manish’s family is one of more than 5,000 displaced families who were provided supplies by Convoy of Hope. The Disaster Services team moved rapidly into response mode in the hours after the earthquake struck. Since then, they’ve distributed more than 3,882 tarps and distributed 423,250 meals. More than 600 volunteers have put in more than 3,500 hours helping earthquake survivors. “The need for relief in Nepal has been tremendous and we couldn’t have done what we’ve done without the help of our many supporters,” says Kary Kingsland, senior vice president of U.S. Program and Disaster Services.

• May 26, 2015 | 10:00 AM

Springfield, Mo.Convoy of Hope's Disaster Services team has distributed nearly 1,800 tarps and is still coordinating distributions of family kits in the affected areas. More than 290,000 meals have been distributed so far and 560 volunteers have put in nearly 3,000 volunteer hours.

• May 12, 2015 | 10:45 AM

Springfield, Mo.Convoy of Hope’s Disaster Services Team has been in the operations center overnight monitoring the aftermath of a 7.3 magnitude earthquake that struck Nepal around 1:00 a.m. (CDT), causing considerable damage along with numerous injuries and fatalities. “We’ve been able to establish contact with our team on the ground in Nepal, who’ve been leading response efforts to the devastating earthquake that struck last month and they are all safe,” says Kary Kingsland, senior vice president. “Our team is reporting the situation there is only compounded by the extensive damage from the previous quake.” The team in Nepal is currently assessing any new needs that may arise in the aftermath of this latest earthquake.

• May 7, 2015 | 6:00 PM

Springfield, Mo.The monsoon season will compound human suffering through rain, flash floods and mudslides. Humanitarian organizations, including ours, have pre-positioned lifesaving relief items. Convoy of Hope and our partners have identified three high priority areas to focus relief operations on: Focus area 1: Sindupalchok Focus area 2: Okhaldunga Focus area 3: Ramechaap These areas were selected based upon the following criteria: 1. Need (80%+ destruction of homes) and number of displaced people. 2. Communities that are less accessible or inaccessible, and appear to be receiving little or no support form government agencies, military and/or NGO’s. To date, we have distributed 89,640 meals in Nepal, with the help of 56 volunteers. Our newest video update was posted this morning right here on the Hope Supply. Scroll down to see how we’re committed to bringing help and hope to Nepal, no matter how long it takes.

• Locals receiving food for their families. Locals receiving food for their families.
  • May 1, 2015 | 2:30 PM

Springfield, Mo.As our team on the ground in Nepal continues to work with local partners, Convoy of Hope is sending 700 tarps to the region donated by Springfield, Mo., based Bass Pro Shops. “The Nepalese government is reporting that at least half a million tents are needed for earthquake survivors who’ve been forced from their homes,” says Kary Kingsland, senior vice president of Convoy of Hope. “We hope these tarps will bring much-needed relief to survivors who’ve been left to the elements. We’re grateful for the support of Bass Pro Shops.” The team on the ground has already surveyed several sights. Distributions are expected to expand in the coming days.

• Tarps from Bass Pro Shops are loaded into a Convoy of Hope truck that will be shipped to earthquake survivors. Tarps from Bass Pro Shops are loaded into a Convoy of Hope truck that will be shipped to earthquake survivors.
  • April 30, 2015 | 11:30 AM

Springfield, Mo.Convoy of Hope's Disaster Services team arrived in Kathmandu, Nepal on Wednesday and met with the local disaster task force there to determine the number of people affected by the earthquake in each district, as well as the percentage of homes that were destroyed. Today, the team surveyed damage and is working with the local network in Nepal to respond to immediate needs. We have learned that rice, oil, lentil and salt are among the list of items most needed, so our next step will be transporting those items into the affected areas.

• April 25, 2015 | 2:30 PM

Springfield, Mo.Convoy of Hope has a Disaster Services team, along with equipment and supplies, en route to Nepal. More than 4,600 people are reported to have been killed and immediate needs for survivors include medical care, food, water and shelter. Our team is working with a network of 100 organizations who are ready, willing and able to respond to offer support to those in need. Because the need is so great we are calling on all our friends to help us help those who are suffering.

• April 25, 2015 | 10:00 AM

Springfield, Mo.A 7.8 magnitude earthquake caused devastating destruction early Saturday, killing more than 800 people near Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. As one of the poorest countries in the world, Nepal may not be well-equipped to respond to a disaster of this degree. According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Asia and the Pacific, it is estimated that more than 6.6 million people are in the area affected by the earthquake. Convoy of Hope’s Disaster Services team is responding and working with our in-country partners to get emergency aid to those who are suffering. “It is because of our many networks and partners that we are able to respond immediately during a time of need,” says Kary Kingsland, senior vice president of Convoy of Hope. “We will continue to work diligently to bring help and hope to the survivors of this devastating earthquake in Nepal.” As the Convoy of Hope team continues to determine the best way to respond, please keep the families of those affected in your prayers.

Get Involved

Support

Response Map

Nepal Kathmandu Nepal

Downloads

• Nancy

Every part of me aches, longing to grab my bag and GO!! :( Prayers to the responders and all affected…

• Antoneeyore

My prayers go with them!

• ashleydentonleadership

Where do I find the list of addresses in Nepal where your centers will be set up? Thanks.

• Kendra Mackley

When I was working in Nepal several years ago they were a “Hindu State” and were closed to Christianity. I have friends who are there trying to share the Good News and listing an address would put them in danger. Converting a Nepali to Christianity is against the law and is punished by imprisonment. Convoy of Hope has already been in contact with them and they are working together to help the people!

• We are currently not publicizing our exact locations in country but you can contact us at http://www.convoyofhope.org/about/contact-us/ if you need more information about how to get in touch with teams that are in the field.

• Pingback: How you can help Nepal right now – Quartz()

• Pingback: 6 Ways You Can Help Nepal – Christ Fever()

• My prayers have been lifted up today for Nepal for the survivors and the ones who lost loved ones in Jesus’ name, Amen

• Pingback: Selfadvocatenet.com we like to send our support condolences to victims of Nepal earthquake this past Saturday | SelfAdvocateNet.com()

• Jennifer Russell

I have some vacation time that I’d gladly use to help. I left a message with someone in the DC offices. My heart is aching.

• Thanks for having a big heart Jennifer. We’re currently only sending people from our disaster response team. Please keep the people of Nepal in your prayers and you can always donate to the people of Nepal through us.

• Pingback: Hope for Nepal.()

• Pingback: Praying for Nepali Believers | Truth Worth Living()

• Pingback: Help Nepal :: Deep Water Church()

• Pingback: Nepal Earthquake Collapses Churches during Weekly Worship Services - ZIONICA.com()

• Lisa Wiley-Nickel

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone. May the Lord be with you and protect you.

• Toni Marie Caravello

Do you have a list of places or names where people who are delivering aid to villages can contact for support aid in Nepal.

• Unknown

I was wondering if your organization would allow my school to raise enough money inorder for us to buy food/supplies needed by the people effected by this tragedy which we then could ship to you(but I would have to get a ok from one of my teacher first and work out raising money)

• Guy Larson

I am a principal of an American School In Lahore, Pakistan. Moved by the Earthquake so nearby, my 5th and 6th Grade students decided to hold a fund-raiser for the victims of the Nepal Earthquake.
    I have interacted with Convoy of Hope, previously, when in the US, and appreciate your model to minimize administrative costs, and maximize resources to those in need.
    My original intent was to donate the US dollar equivalent from my account in the US, assuming the kids would raise a minimal amount in two days, but their generosity, and hard work impressed me… and raised an amount greater than in my US account (a good problem to have).
    I have a visa backed debit card for my local Pakistani Rupee account, which I can deposit and donate from. I also have a local US$ account, but would have to convert on the open market, and much of it is in small notes (I do not get prime rate for that).

Can you take donations from a foreign currency account? If so, what is the best way to donate.
    Please advise… and I would greatly appreciate a reply to my school email address: glarson@pas.edu.pk
    P.S. I leave for the US in 2 weeks, so quick reply is appreciated

• J Willett

My church is holding vacation Bible school next month, and Nepal will be our missions focus. I would like to be able to quantify for our participants what each dollar or a specific amount allows Convoy of Hope to provide to those in need, more specific to the provisions needed in Nepal. Is there a way for me to find that item specific, or meal cost specific kind of information? Thank you.

More Features